Call: 01608 663759 for Free Advice on Wheelchair Ramps

Call: 01608 663759 for Free Advice on Wheelchair Ramps

Rules for class 3 invalid carriages

Because class 3 invalid carriages can be used on the road they need to meet certain extra rules. Otherwise you could be stopped by the police. Class 3 invalid carriages need the following features:

a maximum unladen weight of 150 kilograms
a maximum width of 0.85 metres
a device to limit its speed to 4mph
a maximum speed of 8mph
an efficient braking system
front and rear lights and reflectors
direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
an audible horn
a rear view mirror
an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

Driving on the road

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 invalid carriage. The maximum speed is 8mph.

You can’t drive on bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ cycle lanes and motorways. You should avoid using dual carriageways with a speed limit of over 50mph.

You must use an amber flashing light for visibility if you do use a class 3 invalid carriage on a dual carriageway.

Road rules

You have to follow the rules of the Highway Code if you’re on the road in your mobility scooter.

Driving on footpaths and parking

All mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can legally travel at a maximum of 4mph on footpaths or in pedestrian areas.

You can’t drive any type of mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on cycle paths marked ‘cycle only’.


All normal parking restrictions apply to mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs.

Your vehicle should not be left on a footpath or pedestrian area on its own if it gets in the way of other pedestrians, including wheelchair users and people with prams or pushchairs.

Eyesight requirements

There is no legal eyesight requirement to drive mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs, but you should be able to read a car’s registration number from a distance of 12.3 metres (40 feet).

You must check that you can still do this regularly.

You might have to pay compensation if you have an accident and poor eyesight was part of the cause.

Use by non-disabled people

Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can only be used by non-disabled people if they’re:

demonstrating the vehicle before it’s sold
training a disabled user
taking the vehicle to or from maintenance or repair

Vehicle tax, registration and insurance

You don’t have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you still need to register class 3 invalid carriages and display a ‘nil value’ tax disc.

To register and apply for a nil value tax disc for a class 3 invalid carriage, complete form V55/4 for new vehicles, or V55/5 for used vehicles. You can get the forms from DVLA’s online ordering service.

Send the completed form to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BE. You can’t license your class 3 invalid carriage online or at Post Offices.

Include evidence of the vehicle’s age (if available) and documents showing the keeper’s name and address.


You don’t need insurance for a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, although it’s recommended.

Crown copyright – source:

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.

© 2017 Access Appraisals Ltd. Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 5AB
Registered in England & Wales. Company no. 04537420, VAT no. 812494925